Monday 5 July 2010

Quilt As You Go!

Simple squares to be cut to accurate nine inches.

I am trying to teach myself a simple 'quilt as you go' method. I have a lovely jelly roll of Heather Bailey's 'Pop Garden' and am aiming for a single quilt for my niece. I love the colours they just 'zing' out at you! It is simple - just a log cabin design sewn directly onto the backing fabric until the desired size is reached. Then a top quilting stitch (I have used a simple line about a quarter of an inch apart). Make a big pile of these squares and then trim them all to the same size (I am using nine inch panels) before joining them together in strips and eventually into a large panel before backing and binding. This method means you can quilt on a simple domestic sewing machine and it lends itself very well to small designs. I shall try to be more adventurous with the quilting in subsequent pieces.

Here is a lovely tutorial   sewtakeahike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.