Tuesday 9 February 2016

Rigid Heddle Loom

 
 
My New Baby
 
 

I am going to bore you all now with tales of my new baby ... an Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom. Yesterday it arrived and although it quite categorically states "ready to weave within a few minutes" I spent at least three hours yesterday assembling it and warping it up - and it still is not complete. Take a look ...

This is the tiny box it arrived in (it is the 80cm size). I was expecting so much more.




All the way from New Zealand

 






This is the point when I needed Mr Whizz Kid who is great at anything requiring a hammer ... and yes it really did need candle wax.





Finally it is ready to begin the warping stage. I checked out many YouTube videos, which were a little confusing and after three attempts got the hang of it and continued to progress.



















At this point I am fully ready to cut the thread from the post and wind the thread onto the loom. I definitely needed help at this point and eventually almost three hours later I am ready to proceed to the next step. Who said this was simple?

          



You Tube is definitely not the best teacher in the world! More pics when I have finally mastered the next threading stage ... watch this space.

If there is anyone 'out there' willing to teach me then I am an avid student.

Yay!
I am so excited.


















2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good project. Good for you for persevering. Can't wait to see the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help at all, but I'm very jealous - I've been pinning weaving ideas for ages. I used to do weaving with beads - made bracelets wth people's names on them at school for £1 each! Do let us know how you get on

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.