Tuesday 13 December 2011

A Peaceful Day

A Day At Home


thefreenomad:

Tranquility.
A peaceful day


 

The weather today has been appalling so I decided to do a few finishing off projects and stay in the warm and dry. I also need to ice my Christmas cake.


These fingerless gloves have been on the go for a few weeks - again I have used the lovely 'fake fairisle' wool and large needles for a quick project. They turned out rather well and just in time for me to wear them when I put the recycling out!




Enough wool left for a hat?

Perfect for this cold day




I found these delightful felted slippers on Saturday and today found time to wrap them for a new baby in the family.




They are so cute!

Found at Parici, Twickenham

This lovely shop,   Parici   in Church Street, Twickenham, Middlesex,  sells only hand made goods from the surrounding area  ...  do take a look if you are ever nearby.  I particularly liked the jewellery and pottery.



Labels









I always make my own labels  -  this Christmas I am using silver card. This is the process ...


You need silver/gold card with a white backing, a hole punch and a guillotine.




Cut strips


Divide strips

Punch hole for ribbon
Finished tags


This method of making my own labels cost approximately £1.99 for over 100 tags (6 foolscap sheets). This was very difficult to photograph due to the glossy surface!  It is also possibe to use old Christmas cards by fussy cutting them.

A peaceful day it was not!  ... seven phone calls,  two parcel deliveries, three visitors and  a family member for lunch (after I had already eaten!)

I today also made a lovely meat loaf for an elderly neighbour, one for my son, and another for my husband.  A very simple recipe ...

Meat Loaf

1 lb beef mince
1 lb pork mince
1 diced onion
1 diced red pepper
1 diced green pepper
4 oz grated cheese
1 egg
1 jar chutney (I use a mixture of all the 'ends of jars' - this time was mango chutney and apple sauce)
Handful diced fresh herbs
pack streaky bacon

Mix all ingredients well.
Line 2lb loaf tin with bacon
Put all ingredients in tin and cover with more bacon
Wrap well with silver foil
Bake in baine marie for 1 hour
Remove foil and bake for a further 15 minutes

To serve slice thinly and serve with salad and chutney.



A simple lunch



The Christmas cake






Unfortunately the cake still needs icing!







3 comments:

  1. Go you!!!
    I am feeling a little inadequate now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy lady! I've still done nothing towards Christmas - I'm looking forward to getting home and starting on the Christmassy stuff! (two more sleeps)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe it sounds lovely, it has just reminded me of a delicious 'Beef Gelatine' recipe that my Mum used to make usually around Christmas time, from a Cordon Bleu magazine that I think she used to subscribe to monthly. I don't thin it has green pepper or cheese in though. I'm planning to get a few Christmasy things done tomorrow so fingers crossed I don't get too many interruptions!!! Hope that you manage to have a quieter day tomorrow.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Su

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.