Thursday 7 April 2016

Subzi Vegetable Curry


Pakistan Mixed Vegetable Curry

Today I found a wonderful curry book in the local charity shop. It seemed almost unused and had some excellent recipes, curry history from around the world and beautiful photography. Mr Whizz Kid loves curries - me I am not so keen but love them when mild and full of crisp vegetables. I have been practising them for a few months now - I make one or two and then add some other items from the local supermarket. Hopefully no one realises that I cheat. Today I found a recipe which caught my eye as it had a lot of the ingredients that I try to use in my own vegetable curry recipes. Although Pakistan is generally known for its meat curries the poor seem to subsist on vegetable curries and breads - and this is one of their more popular dishes.



The lovely book


A biryani for next week










Subzi Curry

Ingredients
3 tbsp. oil
1 diced large onion
3 cloves sliced garlic
1 tbsp. sliced ginger root
3 diced tomatoes
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 lb. diced potatoes
1 lb. cauliflower florets
Salt and pepper
Coriander leaves


Method
Heat oil
Fry onion and then add garlic and ginger root
Cook for a few minutes and then add diced tomatoes and spices (turmeric, chili, cumin)
Meanwhile cook cauliflower and potatoes in the microwave until barely cooked
Add to the mixture with 4oz water and cook for ten minutes
Season with salt and pepper
Serve with chopped coriander




























This is very similar to my previous post about curried cauliflower and potatoes but has different spices and tastes completely different.


The table set for dinner for two


Vegetable curry, chicken korma, rice and dhal with paratha bread

With a dollop of mango chutney tasted fine!



Eat this while listening to this ... yummy!









1 comment:

  1. I, like Mr. Whizz Kid, love curry! Thank you for sharing this. It looks delicious (can't wait to try it). :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.