Friday 10 February 2012

Scrappy Flowers


Quick Buttonhole Flowers Or Parcel Decorations ..


This first one is so easy and takes literally minutes to make.

Take a few scraps and cut them into lengths of between six and twelve inches long by approximately three inches wide. Sew them together along the long side to make a ribbon with right sides on the outside. (adjust the stitch length and tension to make the stitches as long and loose as possible).  I finished up with a 'ribbon' of about forty inches long by one and half inches wide. Oversew the short edgse with a zig zag stitch. Now pull the thread at intervals along the rough edge to 'gather' the fabric loosely. Wind the 'ribbon' until a flower like bundle appears. Stitch through the rough ends (I cut them with pinking shears) and sew a felt shape over the ends. Add a pin.






 

This flower is sewn in a different way - by laying roughly cut shapes on top of each other (edges are either rough or roughly oversewn) - pin a button in the middle and then it is used to decorate a tote.






This flower is decorating a purse and is merely a gathered rosette with a felt centre. I shall probably put some beads or buttons on it.








 


This was a dry run using some of my own 'fuglies' - tomorrow I will try them with some prettier fabrics and more time. I think they look better when not too regulated and organised - and maybe with some beads in the centre?


How is my knitting going, you ask ...






Well it is growing by the day but Valentines Day is still too near!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the flowers i have been trying to make these http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/tsunami_kanzashi_flower_2 and i just dont seem to have the knack :((((
    the hat is coming along though you will need to be in a knitting frenzy to get it done for tuesday !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good - I can't hear you clickety-clacking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are lovely. I have push button tension on my machine and am too scared to adjust it though! Hadley makes lovely felt flower brooches too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely variety of flowers. I posted a little award to you over on my blog - I hope that is OK.

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.