Tuesday 7 February 2012

Charles Dickens Bi-Centenary



"There Is Nothing Better Than A Friend,
Unless It Is A Friend With Chocolate!"
Charles Dickens.



Charles Dickens 1812 - 1870


And there was I thinking that Charles Dickens was out of date and had no relevance to me!

Of course I have read all his books over the years but have found the size and length of them all a little overwhelming - too complicated when young, too heavy and clumsy to read in bed - too verbose for everyday reading with the noise of everyday family life all around. However, I, like so many others I am sure, have preferred the lazy way of enjoying the wealth of Dickens novels by enjoying their TV adaptations. So ... "Thank you Mr Dickens for introducing me, my children and grandchildren to the Dickensian world"  ... and, a huge "Thank you to the BBC for doing such a fine job of keeping us all so interested".


Now to settle down with a book and a box of chocolates!






Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens
I enjoyed this so much I named my son after it


Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I have always thought with Dickens that if ONE word would do... he will use TEN !! Not my kind of thing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read loads but have never been tempted by CD- I think shakespeare and Milton at shool put me right off the other classics! I never realised the chocolate quite was his!

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.