Tuesday 4 September 2012

Welcome To Positano





The Pearl Of The Amalfi Coast
Positano, Italy


This is my first 'real' holiday since my illness (apart from a break at our apartment in France) and so I was REALLY looking forward to it - if finding the thought of being so far away from The Royal Marsden  a little scary. We decided on Positano, (that is I decided on Positano), as it was the most beautiful spot in the world that I had ever been too. It is along the Amalfi Coast, south of Naples in Italy and breathtakingly built into the hillside and overlooking the sea. Wow! Last time we went I was fit and well - this time not so fit and well and a little wobbly on my feet - but so what - I was determined to have a brilliant holiday.

We settled on 'Buca di Bacco' overlooking the wonderful beach, which although rather stony is covered with the most marvellous detritus from a previous tile mill - each stone is a different bright colour washed smooth by the sea, however, now much of the beach has been 'sanded' and is a much more comfortable place. The hotel amazed us on our last visit and this time we opted for the most expensive and opulent suite with  a big balcony with sun-beds and eating areas suspended out over the bay. Scary, (if you are not keen on heights or water), but simply stunning to behold.

Here are a few photo's of our visit ... hope that you enjoy them as much as we did!






















































This was our balcony overlooking the bay of Positano ...



Balcony at the Buca di Bacco camera de-luxe with sea view



I spent many happy hours here while Mr Whizz Kid swam in the sea and I read my books. This was actually the 'honeymoon suite' of this little hotel and the best in the hotel - though we were definitely not on honeymoon after twenty plus years (still I can dream can't I?)




Balcony at Buca di Bacco
View from balcony


View from balcony

View from balcony

View from balcony

View from balcony

View from balcony


Now I should love to show you some of the amazing seafood dishes we ate - lots of lobster, crayfish, prawns, shrimp, crab, calamari, anchovies and many of the local fishes caught daily in the bay - sadly Mr Whizz Kid objected this time so you will just have to imagine them!






































We also travelled by boat along the Amalfi coast and visited beautiful spots along the way - Sorrento, Amalfi, Capri and Salerno - all of them stunning. The ferry stops were on the beach below our window so we had to walk just a few steps to reach the boarding stage.











Positano from the Amalfi road - Positano, Naples



Umbrella cascade - Positano, Naples



Do take a look at this  uTube video, which gives much more info than my photos ever could.








7 comments:

  1. Wow...looks like you had an amazing time (I thought you must be on holiday) I love Italy and your photo's certainly show how beautiful it is. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely. I used to live in Naples and so traveled there often. The last photo is fantastic. Hope you have many happy memories from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that looks like a fabulous place to visit for one's first holiday in absolutely forever! Glad you had such a great time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely holiday! Thanks for taking us along, Annabelle. Your suite was so beautiful complete with a view to match. I've just added a new destination to my travel wish list. All the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks absolutely stunning, and I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your holiday. Certainly somewhere to add to my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you had been quiet - I am so glad you got a trip you deserved, it looks amazing.
    We stayed in Ravello when I was about 15 - it was wonderful although I am scared for life by the taxi drives round all those winding roads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a fab holiday, I'm so glad you managed t get away, and what a fab room / suite. I love all the photos but the orange sun umbrellas against the blue sky is great

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.